Wednesday, June 07, 2006

the dissertation is out of my hands, for the moment, whoo hoo!

On Friday, May 26, I had an unpleasant, lengthy conversation with my dissertation advisor. She spent a good thirty or forty minutes basically making me feel worthless. Only in the last ten minutes, did she give me very general directions and suggestions (I mean VERY GENERAL) for the chapters she didn't like - Chs. 5 & 6, on Confucius and on comparing Aristotle and Confucius. Honestly, those two chapters do not affect the overall content of my dissertation significantly.

Cried over the next day or so. She made me feel super bad! Being preggers and having worked hard on the dissertation in recent weeks didn't help.

Got to work on revising Chs. 5 & 6, though I didn't know exactly what she expects or wants. Took a look at a couple of resources, per her suggestion, before making revisions.

This past Monday, June 5th, I began reading Chs. 1-6 for typos and grammatical mistakes. Today, I finished proofreading the chapters and finished writing the conclusion chapter - Ch. 7.

Not even half an hour ago today, Wed., June 7th, I e-mail Chs. 1-7 and the Works Cited to my dissertation advisor. My dissertation advisor's not due to arrive back in the country from attending a conference for another couple of days. She requested that I e-mail her Chs. 1-4 or Chs. 1-5 by June 9. Instead, I'm not only sending her material early, but I'm sending the entire substantive content of the dissertation.

Hope she arrives back in the States more cheerful and less stressed than when she left. Hope she calls me only after she's had some rest and only after she has genuinely taken a look at my dissertation. I really hope the substantive work for the dissertation is finished. We shall see.

For the time being, I have at least a day or two rest from dissertation work. Whew! What a relief. I'll take whatever I can get.

No comments: