Wednesday, October 05, 2005

When Silence is the Most Unwelcomed Guest

A huge pet-peeve of mine is after having poured out a bunch of information about current frustrations to a very close person, the person responds with little to no words. Are you kidding me? I just poured my heart out to you, and all you can muster to say is, "that's interesting." I spent a good chunk of energy and time explaining some matters that are very frustrating to me, and this person doesn't say anything that indicates he was even listening! I would get just as much response talking to a rock or my cat as him. He told me to just assume that he is listening.

I'm going to steal a few lines from the movie "Sabrina" for a moment. As Maude, in "Sabrina" says, "Do I look stupid? You know, I never thought of myself as stupid. But maybe I am."

What? No! - I'm not going to assume that he's listening. Too many times (and yes, I do mean too many times) I've spoken with him, and he has had no idea what I have said. Other people have had the same frustrations with him. I can't simply assume that he's actually listening when he says nothing, because I'll end up being wrong most of the time. It's hard to not take to heart that he spends a lot of time ignoring what I tell him, because he's supposed to be my significant other. He's supposed to care. How is he supposed to care, if he's not aware of that about which he's supposed to care? Arrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh! I'm so utterly frustrated. Sometimes I just want to give up confiding in him. Waste of his time? Forget that, talking with him is a total waste of my time and energy. What's the point in talking with him if he's only going to listen %10 percent of the time?

Yet, I'm stuck. We're together. I promised to stay with him.

Seriously, why can't he learn to listen? If I'm coming to him at a bad time (which is probably most of the time), why won't he say something? Why does he let me continue talking and not listen when he knows he's the only audience. Wonder whether he enjoys the same being done to him, not listening to him when he's trying in earnest to share something.

Listen! Speak like you've actually heard what has been said and what is being said. For Pete's sake.

No comments: