Wednesday, September 28, 2005

I'M SO MAD!

This is one of those days where most everything seems to be going haywire. My husband and I moved just over a month ago. Well, today, I heard from my former landlord. Not only are we seeing none of th $575 deposit we put into the place we rented from her, but she's alleging that we owe an additional $595.79. All in all, she's expecting us to give her $1170.79, and for what?! She claims: carpet cleaning, painting (for $775!-this is just a duplex), cleaning, and replacing all blinds, doorstops, lightbulbs, etc. Painting?!! I don't remember that being a part of lease, where she was going to take out money for painting the place, much less $775! And cleaning? What sort of cleaning was done such that the cost was $120? Why in the world did I bother vacuuming, cleaning the bathrooms, cleaning the appliances, etc., if she was going to charge us for cleaning? Why did she have to replace all blinds, doorstops, lightbulbs, etc.? She didn't seem to replace all blinds when we moved in that place; in fact, the livingroom blinds failed to work soon after we moved there! Lightbulbs?! They were all working when we left that place; I made sure of it! She took total advantage of us.

On top of all that, I'm frustrated, because lately I'm dealing more with class disorder than teaching. My job is to teach, not to babysit. Instead, especially in one of my classes, my students talk and chit-chat in a way that's disruptive. Yet, I don't quite want to say something every time I hear people talk. If they genuinely are dialoguing about the material, I don't mind. Also, a number of my students do not seem to know English as well as they should (students appear to be bilingual, but English seems to be functioning as a second language for them), and I don't want to interrupt any translating help they're offering one another. This is week five of classes, and I'm still having students tell me about how they still don't have a book for the class, and this, that, and the other. My students are performing poorly on their quizzes - open note quizzes! - yet enough of them act as if class time is play time. Not all of them are reading the text (even though a large chunk of their grade depends on it), a number of them aren't paying attention in class, few of them are taking careful notes in lecture, the story goes on. If I weren't a teacher who cared so much about how well my students do, maybe this wouldn't matter as much. But, I take their performance (or poor performance) personally!

Then, this dissertation things is really bugging me. In the end, it's my ugly battle to fight. And, guess what? I'm losing! I'm not getting very far and I'm moving quite slowly. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

Please! I'd like to see some positive occurrences in my life. I'd like some indication that it's not a complete flop. Bitte schon.

No comments: