Saturday, September 24, 2005

Blogging as a way of connecting with people in the world

Earlier today, I was speaking with a really good friend of mine. Amongst numerous conversation topics, she mentioned that she was wondering about why I had a sudden recent curiosity with blogs. In fact, at this time, I have four blogs. Before, I had heard about blogs, but I never really had any inkling or motivation to dip into the world of blogs. Perhaps I was too busy with other things. Actually, that is at least partially true. I had enough of a hard time balancing my own work with meeting with various friends. I am never too busy for friends. However, the idea of meeting new friends, via blog or any other means, did not appeal to me. Or maybe so many other miscellanous obligations, activities, and engagements blocked my view, I did not see much beyond the sea of activities whirring around me. I cannot put my finger exactly on the culprit.

However, my dear friend probably had at least a couple of observations correct. First, I'm a very social being. And, still being new to this place (new life in a different city and state), I haven't had the chance to form a network of friends with whom I can feed my ever social tendencies.

Well, I started my first blog when I was trying to respond to a best friend of my husband's blog. At the time, his blog was set up in such a way that only those who have blog accounts could comment. I, ofcourse, wanted to support his work in setting up his first blog. So, I signed up for an account. In doing so, though, I wanted to begin with a meaningful subject, and that I did. From there, I e-mailed the blog address to all our friends, the ones we recently left behind and the ones we've made elsewhere as well.

Then, my latest addiction was born. I have grown into a person that desires organization. Eventually, I wanted to be able to write about topics and matters that stretched beyond the first blog I started. As I was working on my first blog and the subsequent ones, I slowly realized that I have no idea how many people are actually accessing my writings. Well, I know of those who leave comments. But, aside from that, I have little idea who is or is not reading my postings. A part of this blogging business is quite mysterious, and a lot of the users (of the blogs) are anonymous. That makes this all the more interesting.

Besides curiosity with the unknown, I also am experiencing this extreme childlike excitement, always wanting to check to see if anyone left comments with my postings. I'm eager when someone has said something. But, I'm sad and disappointed when no one has left any comments. I feel saddened that no one has recently taken a look at my profile or been stirred by my postings. That shows, I suppose, how new I am to blogging. Soon, I surmise, the intense excitement of possibly meeting new people, whether here in the United States or elsewhere in the world, will subside.

How, I wonder, though would strangers to me find my blog? Just for fun, I tried looking at "random" blogs. I don't know how Google! generates random blogs, but mine never came up. I also tried looking up the name with which I am posting. Many other possibilities arose, but I didn't find me. Seemingly, my blogs wouldn't be that easily discovered, in part, because millions of blogs are out there. Well, there it is.

No comments: