Sunday, September 25, 2005

Choose an easy way out & you're on your own

I felt the Lord spoke truth into my current life situation this morning during service. The jist of what I was hearing included a few noteworthy points. First, God never promised an easy road for us as Christians. I understand that, at least cognitively. I suppose realizing and accepting it experientially is more of a challenge. Second, those trying times are opportunities for us to grow and mature as Christians. Never has it been my experience that people's faith stays the same with difficult roads and challenges. We either strengthen as Christians or we weaken as Christians. We have a chance to respond appropriately to the uncomfortable challenge and seemingly unwelcomed adventure. That is, we have a chance to turn to the Lord for strength and wisdom and to recognize the limitations and weaknesses of our own abilities. Third, and very closely related to the second, we have a chance the see what the Lord wants to do with our lives and observe God's working in our lives.

Instead of running from the tough road - struggles over progressing in my dissertation work (and finishing my Doctorate), transitioning to a new place and job - I need to accept that this is my road to take. Forward is the direction I need to walk on this road. And, I need to pray that I learn what God wants to teach me. Moreover, I need to pray for his wisdom and pray that I can and will lean on Him for strength. Journey forward!

The sermon was based on 1 Samuel 13: 1-14. The main points made about the passage are as follows. Israel had desperately wanted a king. And, even though that was not the wisest to have, God gave Israel what they wanted so badly. Saul was Israel's first king. But, Saul had to agree to rule to the glory of God. In Chapter 13 of 1 Samuel, Saul was preparing for war, but Samuel instructed and warned to wait for his (Samuel's) arrival before making any moves. The winning of this war was to be to God's glory, not to Saul's glory. Samuel told Saul he would arrive on the eighth day. The eighth day came and went, with no sight of Samuel. With his men scattering, Saul grew increasingly anxious and decided to sacrifice the burnt offering himself. Soon after performing the sacrifice, Samuel arrived and asked Saul what he had done. Long story short, though Saul won the battle, he won the battle for himself and not for the Lord. Due to his haste and lack of patience (perhaps it was more of a trust issue), the Lord decided not to have his lineage go through Saul. What a loss to Saul for not trusting that the Lord would take care of him in this battle.

I want to trust that the Lord will take care of me and see me through this current battle. I do not want to miss out on what God wants to do with my life by looking for an easy way out of this battle. I further do not want to lose out on the opportunity to see God working in my life (such as seeing and understanding why God led me here for particular reasons).

No comments: