Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Dissertation Weariness and Frustrations

I want to graduate so desperately. Once I finish my dissertation and defend it, I'm done. I'll have a Doctorate. I'm so close yet so far away from finishing.

Earlier in the summer, I submitted a complete rough draft. But, here I am, stuck in a rutt, and I am having the toughest time pulling myself out of this deplorable situation. Yes, yes, I have all sorts of understandable excuses - my husband, our cat, and I made a 1200 mile move less than a month ago. We're in a new home, in a new community (we have friends all over the place, but not here, not yet), in new jobs. This move has turned my world inside out and upside down.

Excuses aside, I need to get my dissertation done! I don't have any excuses I want to use in lingering. I actually want to finish. However, I also don't want to submit crap or junk to my dissertation adviser. That has already been done, with the first draft. This one has to be better. But how? Wasting the time and energy of everyone involved is not my game, but how do I know whether I've written something worthy to be read by someone else, especially my dissertation adviser?! Somebody throw me a bone, quick!

My dissertation topic actually is of tremendous interest to me. That's not the problem. How do I organize all those articles and books I read into a coherent and interesting book? I have such little respect for my writing, I don't even want to show what I've written so far in this revision to my husband.

I'm overwhelmed with various feelings and desires: the desire to finish (but realizing that I'm not finishing as soon as I had hoped), the feeling that my writing stinks, my fear of failure, my desire to communicate the importance of my dissertation topic. If this is in some way a test God's using to grow me, I'm a terrible sport and I think I'm failing so far. I certainly can't do this on my own. Okay Lord, it's all you. I'm being totally serious here.

No comments: