Friday, May 26, 2006

It was a very sad day in terms of dissertation stuff

I can't go into details, but after much crying and exhaustion during and following my dialogue with my PhD advisor on the phone . . . and after a nice little vacation, I've got to peel myself off the floor and do some dissertation work tomorrow. Poor Rhonda and John were over at our home when life (or the dissertation saga) began to unravel in a very bad way. The phone conversation lasted at least thirty minutes. I actually made it fifteen or so minutes without crying, which is great, especially for a pregnant woman. Anyways, to make the long story short, after getting yelled at for quite awhile, I know what I've got to work on and finish in the next ten days. I need to have Ch. 1 in perfect condition. And, I must revamp Ch. 6, comparing Aristotle and Confucius. Don't know about the work on Ch. 5, yet. But, if I can get Ch. 1 through Ch. 4 in tip-top shape by June 7, I will be in decent (barely decent) shape. If my advisor likes what she reads, at that time, she'll send those first four chapters on to my second reader, at the very least.

The other piece of bad news is I won't be defending in the third or fourth week of June. Looks like I'll probably be defending the first weekend in July. Please Lord, let that be the case. This has been such a tough journey academically. Sometimes I have a really hard time believing that I can finish this adventure. At the very end of our conversation, my advisor affirmed that she is proud of me and that she has faith in me.

No comments: